After my last post in November where I was ‘feeling groggy after flu vaccine (seasonal)’, I came down with ‘piggy flu’ and then that led to a bad cough. In short, I was out of running for almost a month. The over xmas I started rebuilding, slightly nervous all the time that I didn’t have enough time to build up the mileage for my key early 2010 goal of running the 24-hour challenge and getting 100-miles done in that time.
I’m pleased to say that January went quite well. Just getting back into the routine again and getting miles in even during the snowy period – I wore my track spikes! Mileage still isn’t that high though – work hrs often make it difficult to get much in during the week. But I’m getting good x-country long runs in at weekends. Last Sunday was a good 2 ½ hours over a hilly, muddy route. Got to build these runs up a couple of miles a week and then in mid-march and throughout April, do what I think is the key training for ultra – back-to-back long runs. You need to get used to running tired, so running 2hrs+ on a Saturday followed by 4-5hrs on a Sunday (or vice-versa if you really want to make it hurt!) is really the key to running a strong ultra marathon.
Previously when training for ultra, I had much more time in the week to train. I would run from work (c.10-miles) and also get in lunchtime sessions. As I’ve not got much time during the week to get mileage in I’m trying to make the mid-week runs count more. This means that I’m running more fartlek (unstructured/semi-structured interval sessions) and tempo (anaerobic threshold) runs. The thinking is that if I add more quality, then running 9+min/miles in the ultra should feel relatively slow and easy. Most week in February look like this:
M: rest or x-train
T: steady 5 miles – usually still sore from weekend
W: fartlek or tempo 6 miles
T: steady 7-8 miles
F: steady 5 miles
S: fartlek or tempo 6-8 miles
S: long x-country 17, 19, 21 miles with the Devon Coastal Marathon on the 27th.
So the weekly mileage is only around 50 miles a week at the moment, but it’s of pretty good quality. In March the long runs will increase up to 30 miles every other week and from mid-march, the Saturday fartlek/tempo will be replaced with a 2-3 hour x-country run. March will also see an intensive week of training as I’ll be taking annual leave to set up my own little training ‘camp’, which will probably be here in the UK.
Ok, for now...I just need to get psyched for the steady 7-8miles tonight. Also, on Sunday I’m running a race in Surrey, so mileage will have to be tagged onto that to make up the assigned 17 for the day....I hate having to do that! Running 10+ miles after a short race ain’t fun!!!
Thursday, 4 February 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment